Toggle Contrast
Leave this page

Herefordshire Safeguarding Boards and Partnerships

Herefordshire Youth Hub logoTrigger Warning: Some of the content on these pages may be triggering. Remember, you can use the ‘Leave this page’ function to the right at any time.

Abuse and Neglect Page Title

Abuse and Neglect

Home should always be a safe place, where we are looked after, cared for and treated well. What do we do if that’s not the case?

Some children can be mistreated by the people that are meant to care for them. They can also be neglected (where their basic needs like food or shelter are not met), and this can make us feel very unsure and uncomfortable.

There is lots of help available. How do we tell someone about it and what support is there? Look at the links below.

Local support title box

If you need to talk to someone locally:

Children’s Help and Advice Team (CHAT)

01432 260261

The Council’s Children’s Help and Advice Team offers advice to children, young people and their families, where they need some extra support and guidance.

If you need to contact social services about a concern:

The Multi-agency Safeguarding Hub (MASH) is the central point of contact for any individuals and professionals where there are concerns about child abuse or neglect.

To speak to the team – (01432) 260800 (Open 9-5 Monday – Friday)

To email the team – 

Emergency Duty Team

(01905) 768020 (MASH out of hours number for weekends, after 5pm or before 9am)

In an emergency, also call 999 for police, fire and ambulance services

West Mercia Women’s Aid

WMWA (West Mercia Women’s Aid) provides local support to children and young people who have been affected by domestic abuse. This includes support for young people who are themselves experiencing abuse in their teen relationships.

Call 0800 783 1359, email, or visit their website for more ways to get in touch.

West Mercia Rape and Sexual Abuse Support Centre Logo

Counselling Support (WMRSASC)

If you have experienced rape, sexual abuse, or sexual exploitation, you may find yourself feeling scared, overwhelmed or anxious and although it might feel scary, talking about things can help. If you are between 5-18 and live in Worcestershire or Herefordshire, and feel that counselling may help you, then you can contact us for more information on or call our Navigators on 01905 969777.


Advocacy Services (WMRSASC)

A Children & Young People’s Independent Sexual Violence Advocate (ChISVA) is a special worker who can help you and provide support to you if you have experienced rape, sexual abuse, or sexual exploitation at any time in your life.

For further information about our advocacy services please call our Navigators on 01905 969777 or alternatively email

 NHS Wye Valley Trust School Nursing

Children and Young People aged 5-19 and their families can get advice from the school nursing service on topics like relationships, maintaining a healthy weight, sexual health, emotional and mental health, smoking, alcohol and substance use, and keeping safe.

Main Office Tel: 01432 363 940

Single Point of Access (Advice Line) – Tel: 07813 451 034 (Tel/Text/WhatsApp), Mon-Fri 9.00 – 4.30.

For more information – see the school nursing webpage here

Advice and resources title box


If you are a child or young person, you can call ChildLine to speak to someone in confidence.

0800 1111*

Click on the link above to also give you different ways of contacting them, such as an online chat function.

Childline’s websitealso has lots of information on the effects of domestic abuse as well as advice and practical ways to get support and feel safer.

Children’s Society Page

Good page for definitions of different types abuse and signs to look out for, plus links to help-lines.

Advice – If you are thinking of running away

Advice from the Children’s Society for young people that may be thinking of running away. Look out for the useful links to other categories that can help at the bottom of their page too (well-being and mental health).

Children’s Commissioner Guide

A longer read to explore how professionals can help you feel safer if you are concerned about domestic abuse or neglect. It takes you through, step-by-step, what will happen if you decide to report abuse or neglect.

Logo of the Herefordshire Safeguarding Children Partnership
Herefordshire Safeguarding Children Partnership

The HSCP page gives definitions of abuse and neglect as well as a bit more information about who to contact.

Rape Crisis England & Wales 

If something sexual happened to you without your consent – or you’re not sure – you can talk to Rape Crisis. No matter when it happened.

Their 24/7 Rape & Sexual Abuse Support Line is open 24 hours a day, every day of the year:

Call free on 0808 500 2222

Visit the website to start a free online chat

Need to talk to someone? Call Childline on 08001111

Click on the logo for more ways to contact them.   Childline home page